Wednesday, November 08, 2006

 

Day 9, Wed after election

Whew. I voted absentee, still don't know what happened out in Oregon but imagine my vote helped keep the incumbent House member in. No Senate race this year. The radio commentators and their guests on Pacifica understandably kept talking about the changes in committee chairmen.

Here in NYC, I bought an umbrella a day ahead of the rain which is colder here than in my Mexican city of Guanajuato. Still wearing sandals with socks, need to buy a second pair of shoes. Today's the day I take the subway down to Chinatown to see my son's inlaws at their jewelry store on Bowery Street. They lent me warm clothes including the vest I'm wearing.

Seems as if I'm still spending a lot of my time hear buying food to prepare in the apartment or eating out. Last night I sauteed tofu with chard after a light lunch of an onion kulcha and lassi (onion bread, yoghurt drink) in an Indian restaurant. It's light here at 7 and dark by 5pm, although today looks like a grey day from start to finish.

Bought my first cell phone, talked to older son yesterday. Thought I'd called younger son but apparently the call didn't go through. I'll send him an email with my number. Also picked up my "open fit" hearing aid yesterday. Didn't know what this type was called while I was in Gto although two people showed theirs to me.

Planning on going to a violin/piano concert honoring Shostakovich tomorrow, reminding me of the Cervantino. The canvas Cervantino bag I received in the press room turns out to be just right for carrying groceries. I'm doing lots of walking, about 2 miles a day, enjoying the quick passage through the short blocks north and south. Haven't settled into any other exercise pattern yet.

I'm finding New Yorkers helpful and polite. Have only seen one graffiti (graffito?) so far and that tastefully done.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

http://www.poetserv.org/